Non-Profit Organisation Reg. No. 007-942 NPO
- The South African Association of Women Graduates (SAAWG) is an affiliate of the International Federation of University Women (IFUW), one of the world's most important and prestigious non-governmental organisations devoted to the betterment of women. As a national federation or association, SAAWG participates in the IFUW committees, conferences and activities.
- The SAAWG is also a founder member of the Federation of University Women of Africa (FUWA), and is equally anxious to make a contribution to the well-being of African graduate women.
- Within South Africa the SAAWG is unique as the only group of graduate women of many disciplines. Its constitution lays down that it is a totally non-racial and non-political organisation.
- International and national fellowships, scholarships, bursaries and awards are available to members.
- There are at present only two branches of SAAWG, in Johannesburg and Cape Town, but Independent membership is open to all women throughout the country and we currently have members in, amongst other cities, Bloemfontein, Durban, Grahamstown, Vanderbijlpark, Pretoria, Sovenga, Sekhukhune, Bisho, Umtata and Port Elizabeth. National Executive moves in alphabetical order from branch to branch, and since April 2008 has been situated in Johannesburg.
In conjunction with IFUW and FUWA the focus of SAAWG is the graduate woman. The Association is committed to:
- Improving the status of women and girls
- Furthering the development of education
- Assisting women to move into decision-making positions
- Protecting human rights
- Promoting peace
The SAAWG promotes the tertiary education of women and their self-development over their lifespan. It seeks equity for women graduates, cross cultural insights and co-operation, and societal advancement. Its great underlying purpose is world peace, brought about through education and international friendship.